I was watching a pair of crows playing just now. They dipped, dove, wheeled and banked with the precision of a flight of military jets going through maneuvers. Unfortunately for the military their jets will never be as graceful as those two crows. It's simply impossible. They would have to make their machines living organisms before they could move with such perfect fluidity and grace. At any rate the comparison made me recall something that had hither to fallen by the wayside of my mind, although it is an issue that everyone should be aware of.
There was a time a few years back when I realized something quite profound. Namely, that animals are far more advanced than humans. Animals, in this case, meaning wild ones rather than domesticated animals. At any rate this realization explained many, many things that I've often wondered about.
It all began with hunting season, that time of year when I engaged in weight resistance training by slinging a gun on my shoulder and sneaking through the woods as though I might actually be able to find something. It probably won't surprise you to learn that I don't take defeat well, especially when said defeat comes at the hands (or hooves) of ruminants. I don't meant to insult anyone, but it has to be said, ruminants are not the brightest of creatures. Now, I'm sure you have plenty of stories of farm animals "outsmarting" their human captors, but in reality the animals always end up losing. Not so in the case of my hunting and the deer evading. They never lost, at least not to me. No, they remained safe and sound in their sun dappled glens while I trudged forth every morning to come back with nothing but a lungful of disgustingly fresh air.
To explain the fact that an ungulate could evade such a mighty hunter as myself, I dedicated my morning walks to making up excuses. Maybe if my mind hadn't been so preoccupied I would have had some success, but were that the case I would never have realized the truth. It began as an excuse, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it must be true. Prepare to have your mind blown. It became clear to me that wild animals are not nearly as primitive as we think they are. In fact they are far more advanced than we are, to the point where they can hide their technology in plain sight. For time immemorial humans and animals have had a kind of war on. It has been a terrible, bloody affair and many travesties (mostly on the part of mankind) have been committed, but at long last the beasts of the forests have gained the upper hand. There is no going back now.
In the beginning things were fairly equal, men had pointy sticks but animals had sharp, pointy bits that could easily rend the flesh of a frail human. When the first hunter realized that he was, in some ways, inferior to his prey, an arms race sprang up between humans (and their traitorous animal companions) and the animals who refused to be dominated. Of course, there are those who say that domestic animals were more of a sacrifice to appease humanity rather than traitors, but that's an entirely different story. At first humans seemed to be winning, they came up with increasing brilliantly destructive ways of hunting animals. But nature did not despair, her creatures are endlessly resourceful and at some point in time the animals, although they remain strangely nonviolent (but for a few instances), surpassed us technologically. This can be considered a grand feat considering the fact that they lack opposable thumbs. Life will find a way.
-In part two I will give a brief overview of the technology of the animals, and explain how crucial to our survival it is to have this knowledge.-
No comments:
Post a Comment